What is Psychological Abuse?
“Psychological abuse or maltreatment towards a child is the failure of the parent or care taker to provide a healthy,safe, and encouraging environment for the child which allows to develop his/her social and emotional capabilities which goes with his/her personal environmental capabilities. “
HOW can the parent or care giver enforce psychological abuse to the child?
- Continuous rejection, criticism, insult, contempt, intimidation, and education of delinquency and crime.
- Enforcing the child to witness physical abuse on people around him/her.
- Punishing the child for his willingness learn about his/her surrounding.
- Not responding to emotional needs of the child.
WHAT are the signs to discover existence of psychological abuse?
Several Physical Signs and indicators such as:
- Eating disturbances like:
- Language disturbances like:
Stuttering and non-developed language.
- Stomach Pains
- Facial muscle spams
- Pain complains
Several Behavioral Signs and indicators such as:
- Pattern behavior like: Head banging.
- Cruel behavior harming other children or animals.
- Showing enjoyment is abusing other children, adults, and animals.
- A child showing enjoyment when a child is subject to abuse.
- Behaviors that are inappropriate to his/her development stage like: bed-wetting.
I think Psychological Abuse has a long term damage on a child. If its not figured out or prevented, the child’s life is in danger no matter how old he/she is. Recovering might take years and the child might not recover at all. Here is a short film talking about Verbal abuse and emotional abuse.
People should be aware of what they say, to whom, and in front of whom. You don’t have to hit to hurt. So, always think before you speak and act.
Hakim, Yoad Ghanadry. Our Children and How We Protect Them? Palestine: Qader for Community Development, 2013. Print.
ChildLine. Words can hurt – Verbal Abuse and Emotional Abuse. Youtube, Feb. 14, 2013.